Date: 12.14.12
Area: Family Law
For: Virginia, USA

Can a mother file for child support ten years after a custody agreement was entered into the Court?
Child support issues weren't originally addressed in the agreement. The father and I had a mediated agreement entered into Court for our child custody issues ten years ago. There was never a mention of child support. Currently, it is becoming very difficult to get the father to share in the expenses of the children. Is it too late to file for a request for child support?
1 answer | Asked on 12.14.12 in Family Law.

Answers (1)
 This depends on the state where the child and mothe reside and what state the mediated agreement was entered into. Typically, child support cannot be waived but only runs retroactive to the date of filing. Most states allow retroactiove support for paternity cases. Website

Answered by David Slepkow on 03.29.20.